Herefordshire is getting ready for Christmas
With only two weeks until Christmas, there is still plenty on offer to get you into the festive spirit.
Late night shopping takes place every Wednesday leading up to Christmas, with Herefordshire Council car parks in Hereford city centre, the Old Market car park and on-street pay & display will be free for shoppers after 4pm each Wednesday leading up to Christmas. A range of shops will be open late at Maylord, the Old Market, High Town and the surrounding area. Wednesday 19 December will also see a late night market open until 8pm, providing the perfect opportunity to buy any last minute Christmas gifts.
At the Black and White House Museum on 12 and 19 December, Mrs Claus is taking time out of her busy schedule to share festive stories by the fireside about Santa, his elves and the magic of Christmas. The museum and gift shop will be open until 7pm on these dates for those wanting to seek out some unique Christmas gifts for family and friends.
Hereford Library will host a free Christmas decoration making workshop on Saturday 15 December, 10am–noon, suitable for 5 to 10 year olds.
There will be changes to some council services over the festive period.
Recycling and rubbish collections
Residents are asked to ensure bins are put out by 6.30am as collections may be earlier over the festive period.
- Normal collection day Tuesday 25 December – revised collection day Saturday 22 December
- Normal collection day Wednesday 26 December – revised collection day Saturday 29 December
- Normal collection day Tuesday 1 January 2019 – revised collection day Saturday 5 January 2019
Household Recycling Centres across Herefordshire will be open as usual throughout the festive period (except for Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day) where real Christmas trees can be composted with garden waste.
Library and customer service centre opening times
Blueschool House customer service centre and libraries across Herefordshire will be closed on the following dates:
- Monday 24 – Wednesday 26 December
- Sunday 30 December – Tuesday 1 January 2019
Library opening times from Thursday 27 – Saturday 29 December vary across the county; residents are asked to check at their local library or at www.herefordshire.gov.uk/libraries
Please note Jobcentre Plus at Blueschool House will open as usual Monday 31 December, and Bromyard Library (delivered by Halo Leisure) will operate different opening hours.
Museums and archives opening times
- Hereford Museum and Art Gallery will be closed from 18 December to 7 January 2019
- Herefordshire Archive and Records Centre (HARC) will close at 4.45pm on Friday 21 December, reopening at 9.15am on Wednesday 2 January 2019
- Black and White House Museum is closed Sunday 23 December to Wednesday 26 December and on Tuesday 1 January. Open Thursday 27 – Saturday 29 December (10am to 4pm) and Sunday 30 December (11.30am to 2.30pm)
As temperatures lower over the winter, please take time to check that older neighbours and relatives are safe, warm and well, especially if they live alone or have an illness. For those planning their festive travel, follow @HfdsStreets on Twitter for gritting updates and emergency road closures, or view live traffic flow information at www.herefordshire.gov.uk/roads
: 10/12/2018 15:16:51